Our Charging Systems
ORDER YOURS IN OUR ONLINE STORE
NEW: All our DC Chargers can be configured for up to 600V 3-phase input AC power and up to 900VDC input DC power. Also, all can be configured for up to 800VDC battery voltage
NEW: SmartCharge-12000 can now be controlled remotely via serial UART port. CANbus control is coming soon
NEW: A series of additional 25kW chargers are now available - QuickCharge-25000 and ISOCharge-20000 - check them out in our store
NEW: All our chargers can now be used to charge CHAdeMO vehicles via our standalone CHAdeMO controller and CHAdeMO cable and plug
NEW: We now have Assembly Manual videos for our DC Charging Systems in Full HD - along with a new set of Build Materials (80 pages with detailed photos and instructions)! Scroll down to the bottom of the page for all details.
Before we go into the detailed description of our charging systems, here is a quick reference table comparing characteristics of the various versions you will find in our store (thanks Jim Willson for the idea!). Many of these can be further customized and we always are working on the new products so if you don't see what you are looking for below - just ask!
|Parameter||SmartCharge-12000ttt||QuickCharge-25000 LV||QuickCharge-25000 HV|
|Input Voltage - AC||100VAC to 260VAC single phase (standard); up to 600VAC 3-phase as option|
|Input Voltage - DC||from 100VDC to 425VDC (Standard); up to 800VDC as option|
|Input Current||up to 50A RMS||up to 100A RMS||up to 80A RMS|
|Output Current||up to 70A (standard); up to 100A as option||up to 100A||up to 70A||up to 60A|
|Output Power||up to 12kW||up to 25kW||up to 20kW|
|Output Voltage||12VDC - 350VDC (standard); up to 800V as option||12VDC to 270VDC (standard, from 240VAC single-phase input); up to 750VDC as option (from 600V 3-phase) - see note #4 below||340VDC to 450VDC (standard); up to 800V as option - see note #5 below||280-410VDC (standard), other ranges available as option|
|Input / Output termination||AWG6 + Anderson SB50||AWG2 + Anderson SB175||Input: AWG2 + Anderson SB175; Output: AWG6 + Anderson SB50|
|Charger control||Automatic pre-programmed charge profile, LCD + buttons manual control, automatic Serial UART control, CHAdeMO (with optional controller)|
|Topology||Boost + Buck||Buck||Boost||Boost + Asymmetric Half-Bridge|
|PFC||YES (on single-phase input only)||NO||YES (on single-phase input only)||YES (on single-phase input only)|
|Volume, cubic inch||~1,000||~1,400||~1,400||~1,600|
|Power density, W/in^3||12||18||18||13|
We realize that it still can be a bit confusing to figure out how much power you would really get from this or that version so here are a couple of examples from actual customer orders:
- An EV Conversion with a 120V battery pack. SmartCharge-12000 output in this case will be limited by the max output current of 70A (in the standard build), or ~8.4kW
- A 25kW CHAdeMO charger with 3-phase 415V input designed to charge a Nissan Leaf. The input peak voltage is 415V * 1.4 = ~600V. Nissan Leaf pack peak voltage is ~400V. Therefore, the right charger choice is QuickCharge-25000 LV. The output power will be limited to max power rating of 25kw since neither input current limit (100A, or ~65kW) nor output current limit (100A, or ~40kW) would be a factor.
- At this point, we do not offer a 3-phase PFC product. While this version is in the active development, we expect at least 3-6 months before it becomes available.
- For QuickCharge-25000 LV, upper limit on output votage can be calculated as [peak input phase-to-phase voltage MINUS 70V]. In case of DC input peak = average. In case of AC input, peak = 1.4 * RMW phase-to-phase voltage.
- For QuickCharge-25000 HV, lower limit on output voltage is equal to the peak input voltage. For DC, this = input voltage. For AC, this = 1.4 * input RMS phase-to-phase voltage
More details on SmartCharge-12000 development & features
SmartCharge-12000 - a fully programmable, open-source (for non-commercial use) 12-15kW intelligent PFC charger (the latest V14 version released in June 2014). Designed & manufactured by Electric Motor Werks, a High-Performance Electric Conversion group.
We are taking orders for bare PCBs, parts kits, partially assembled units, and fully assembled and tested units for this charging system. Visit OUR ONLINE STORE for ordering info.
Sold as a kit or a complete unit. Or you can try to source the parts yourself and build it (not recommended - you would probably spend more than if you bought a kit as you will be paying full retail price for all components; also, you have to buy from us to get technical support for your build).
Specs - see table above
- Manual - charger can be programmed for any input / output current / voltage at any time in field - no need to do any factory setting!
- J1772 support with automatic power regulation (charger reads and interprets the J1772 pilot signal & limits max power draw to the one suggested by the EVSE)
- NEW [August 2013]: Serial control now available for fully automatic operation. Multiple chargers can be run in parallel, controlled by one simple head unit
- Work ongoing on CAN-to-Serial conversion to enable full CAN-driven operation. Let us know if you can help!
- BMS stop-charge TTL input
- End-of-Charge TTL output
- Hardware current limiting
- Thermal output derating above 55C heatsink temperature
- Inductor temperature sensing
- Flexible battery settings: set number of batteries, capacity through a simple-to-use interface
Next steps / future versions
- Add real time clock for time-of-day charge control - now implemented as a part of the JuiceBox - Open Source 15kW Level 2 EVSE.
- Implement CANbus control (serial has already been implemented as of August 2013)
- Implement fast charge communication protocol for Nissan Leaf - COMPLETE - see CHAdeMO controller product in our store
- Develop a 3-phase high-voltage version (up to 600V 3-phase) - NON-PFC version COMPLETE, PFC version development ongoing now