Our Charging Systems
- Our DC Chargers can be configured for up to 600V 3-phase input AC power and up to 900VDC input DC power and can be configured for up to 800VDC battery voltage
- SmartCharge-12000 can now be controlled remotely via serial UART port.
- Our chargers can be used to charge CHAdeMO vehicles via our standalone CHAdeMO controller and CHAdeMO cable and plug
- We provide Assembly Manual videos for our DC Charging Systems in Full HD - along with a new set of Build Materials (80 pages with detailed photos and instructions)! Scroll down to the bottom of the page for all details.
Here is a reference table. Many of these can be further customized and we always are working on the new products so if you don't see what you are looking for below - just ask!
|Parameter||SmartCharge-12000||QuickCharge-25000 LV||QuickCharge-25000 HV|
|Input Voltage - AC||100VAC to 260VAC single phase (standard); up to 600VAC 3-phase as option||260VAC to 480VAC three phase (standard); up to 600VAC 3-phase as option||100VAC to 260VAC three phase (standard); up to 600VAC 3-phase as option|
|Input Voltage - DC||from 100VDC to 425VDC (Standard); up to 800VDC as option|
|Input Current||up to 50A RMS||up to 100A RMS||up to 80A RMS|
|Output Current||up to 70A (standard); up to 100A as option||up to 100A||up to 70A||up to 60A|
|Output Power||up to 12kW||up to 25kW||up to 20kW|
|Output Voltage||12VDC - 350VDC (standard); up to 800V as option||12VDC to 270VDC (standard, from 240VAC single-phase input); up to 750VDC as option (from 600V 3-phase) - see note #4 below||340VDC to 450VDC (standard); up to 800V as option - see note #5 below||280-410VDC (standard), other ranges available as option|
|Input / Output termination||AWG6 + Anderson SB50||AWG2 + Anderson SB175||Input: AWG2 + Anderson SB175; Output: AWG6 + Anderson SB50|
|Charger control||Automatic pre-programmed charge profile, LCD + buttons manual control, automatic Serial UART control, CHAdeMO (with optional controller)|
|Topology||Boost + Buck||Buck||Boost||Boost + Asymmetric Half-Bridge|
|PFC||YES (on single-phase input only)||NO||YES (on single-phase input only)||YES (on single-phase input only)|
|Volume, cubic inch||~1,000||~1,400||~1,400||~1,600|
|Power density, W/in^3||12||18||18||13|
We realize that it still can be a bit confusing to figure out how much power you would really get from this or that version so here are a couple of examples from actual customer orders:
- An EV Conversion with a 120V battery pack. SmartCharge-12000 output in this case will be limited by the max output current of 70A (in the standard build), or ~8.4kW
- A 25kW CHAdeMO charger with 3-phase 415V input designed to charge a Nissan Leaf. The input peak voltage is 415V * 1.4 = ~600V. Nissan Leaf pack peak voltage is ~400V. Therefore, the right charger choice is QuickCharge-25000 LV. The output power will be limited to max power rating of 25kw since neither input current limit (100A, or ~65kW) nor output current limit (100A, or ~40kW) would be a factor.
- At this point, we do not offer a 3-phase PFC product. While this version is in the active development, we expect at least 3-6 months before it becomes available.
- For QuickCharge-25000 LV, upper limit on output votage can be calculated as [peak input phase-to-phase voltage MINUS 70V]. In case of DC input peak = average. In case of AC input, peak = 1.4 * RMW phase-to-phase voltage.
- For QuickCharge-25000 HV, lower limit on output voltage is equal to the peak input voltage. For DC, this = input voltage. For AC, this = 1.4 * input RMS phase-to-phase voltage
More details on SmartCharge-xxxxx features
SmartCharge-12000 - a fully programmable, open-source (for non-commercial use) 12-15kW intelligent PFC charger. We take orders for bare PCBs, parts kits, partially assembled units, and fully assembled and tested units.
Specs - see table above
- Manual - charger can be programmed for any input / output current / voltage at any time in field - no need to do any factory setting!
- J1772 support with automatic power regulation (charger reads and interprets the J1772 pilot signal & limits max power draw to the one suggested by the EVSE)
- Serial control now available for fully automatic operation. Multiple chargers can be run in parallel, controlled by one simple head unit
- BMS stop-charge TTL input
- End-of-Charge TTL output
- Hardware current limiting
- Thermal output derating above 55C heatsink temperature
- Inductor temperature sensing
- Flexible battery settings: set number of batteries, capacity through a simple-to-use interface
Next steps / future versions
- Add real time clock for time-of-day charge control - now implemented as a part of the JuiceBox - Open Source 15kW Level 2 EVSE.
- Implement CANbus control (serial has already been implemented as of August 2013)
- Implement fast charge communication protocol for Nissan Leaf - COMPLETE - see CHAdeMO controller product in our store
- Develop a 3-phase high-voltage version (up to 600V 3-phase) - NON-PFC version COMPLETE, PFC version development ongoing now